Thursday, March 09, 2006

American Idol before the cuts

It's been a crazy week so I didn't get a chance to post my thoughts on the ladies yesterday. So here's both.

First, no one this week really stood out big for me like last week. They all seemed to just be so-so with a few that were pretty good, and a few that were pretty bad, but no extremes.

It's been two days now since I saw the ladies and don't remember much, which isn't a good sign. I do remember Lisa Tucker singing something that while good, didn't seem like her. Last year I remember that guy Anwar who had a really good voice and started off singing amazingly - remember when he did Moon River? Then it was like he felt he had to do something different than be himself and suddenly you could see he wasn't comfortable, wasn't singing well, wasn't having fun, and started to suck. I think if he would have stuck to being himself and doing what he loves, he would have done much better. Lisa's in danger of this. She needs to be herself, sing stuff she likes. Sure, take the chance now and then, but mostly have fun and do what she likes, she'll go farther that way.

Take Taylor Hicks. I don't think it was his BEST song or the BEST he could do, but he was being himself and having fun. When you're having fun, the audience can tell and they have fun too - and they will forget slight imperfections in the song. He did very well. Everyone needs to take his lead and do what they love. It might not be what the voting public wants, but I think they will go farther by doing that - but also remember to take chances too, pick songs that show off you and your voice. I thought Taylor picked the right song and does sound like Michael McDonald.

Ok, trying to focus on the ladies first. Mandisa was good and had fun. Kellie Pickler was ok but still has that "look" and personality that work great for her. I didn't care for Paris that much this week, thought she was boring. Kinnik didn't do anything for me - heck, I barely remember her singing just that I didn't like it. Ayla I liked, thought she did a good job, but not great. She is better than this, just needs to pick the right song. Don't rmember Katharine McPhee at all and barely remember Melissa McGhee. I think Kinnik is going home, and possibly Katharine, Melissa or Lisa - though I still hope Lisa sticks around.

For the guys, as I said, I liked Taylor. Kevin I didn't care for even though Randy and Paula thought he did great. I'm just not a fan of that really fast vibrato. Will was boring. Gedeon was just ok, nothing special. Bucky I'm getting to like mainly because he's genuine, though he's not my favorite singer. Ace was good, but he spent too much time singing way up there in his falsetto. It was like he couldn't decide if he wanted to sing the song really high or low, it was weird fo me, but he can sing. Last week I really liked Elliott, but this week didn't care for him that much. Once again that fast vibrato and a boring song. And Chris who really rocked the place last week was just ok this week. His voice was good, but his song choice was not. I think Will is going home, and possibly Gedeon or Kevin. But everyone seems to think Kevin's good, and quite often when Simon says bad stuff about someone, they get voted through. If it were my vote, he'd be gone this week, I think Gedeon is a better singer. Then again, neither of them will win this.

Overall, a boring week, no one really making me go, "WOW!!" Hopefully next week will be better.