Monday, November 21, 2005

Dan Miller

Oh good, something other than me ranting! I was thinking my blog was going to be rather negative.

My company - Hampton Affiliates - decided to hire a guy named Dan Miller to do some communication/relationship training. Now I'm normally not to keen on these because they are more about the person giving the presentation liking to hear himself talk, tossing out buzzwords and other crap that no one ever remembers or uses, and he just made a ton of money.

HOWEVER, Dan Miller was TOTALLY different! We did three half-day classes with a three week break between each class. Dan is a great guy, knows his stuff extremely well, has done a ton of stuff, and most of all, doesn't try to sell you that this is easy and he's perfect at it. Quite often he gave examples in his life where he messed up too, like the previous day not 10 years ago.

This was fantastic! I learned a lot, not only techniques to help me communicate with people here at work, but in my everyday life - and Marci can tell you I need some help with my communication skills (D'OH!). These are things I AM using, and will continue to use and work on. It's not easy, but if you work at it, the payoff is amazing. Many of us mentioned how we are using these skills when talking with our spouses and especially our kids, and how much it has helped. I would highly recommend him to everyone.
Dan is also VERY funny and made each class extremely enjoyable. Get your company to hire this guy. Not only will it benefit the company, but it will benefit the employee's in their every day life as well. And when things are going well in their life outside of work, things at work are a little easier to deal with.

Thanks so much Hampton & Dan!