Sunday, July 04, 2010

Photoshop CS5 Content-Aware Fill

I was really excited about Photoshop CS5 when I saw the Content-Aware Fill (CAF) feature. I played with this a lot on my Reno photos and discovered a few things.
  • It DOES work really well on some things like sky and nature areas, not so well on others like buildings.
  • You don't need to delete what you select, just select it. 
  • Sometimes when it would do a bad job, I could just re-select the area that didn't fill in right and do it again. 
  • Sometimes when choosing a large area it wouldn't do a good job, even when the large area was sky. But if I broke that up into smaller selections it worked better. This I found to be biggest help.
Here's an example. I took this looking out our hotel window. At the top you can see the building and in the middle the reflection of my camera.

Reno 2010


I selected the building, ran CAF, then selected the camera reflection and ran CAF. You can see the result in the 2nd photo. This feature ROCKS!! In just a few minutes I was able to fix my photo WAY BETTER than I could have done manually!

Reno 2010