Thursday, December 29, 2005

I am soooooo stupid

You'd think someone who works with computers would know better.

Today for some strange reason, I decided to upgrade my nVidia graphic card drivers. I went to their website, saw there was a newer version and downloaded it. They also had this message in bold, "Please make sure to read the Driver Installation Hints Document before you install this driver." Normally I don't read instructions, but thought I would this time. It said before installing the new drivers to uninstall the old ones. Ok, no prob, that's what I did, restarted like it said and now had an icky 800x600 screen in 16 colors.

No problem, time to install the new drivers. About half way through the install my computer blue screened. ARGH!

My work laptop sits in a docking station with two monitors (just added a 3rd today and LOVE it!!). After rebooting my laptop from the blue screen, it wouldn't work with the docking station. I tried the laptop by itself and that worked fine, but when I would dock it, the other two monitors wouldn't work. I tried everything I could think of - uninstalling the drivers again, re-installing the original drivers, redownloading the new drivers, you name it, nothing was working - I'm more of a unix guy than a windows guy. I don't hate windows, I've just worked with unix more and understand it better.

Finally our windows sys admin came in and had some idea's to try. After playing around a bit, he was able to get things working again - and made me promise never to do that again. haha

I had a lot to do so got up at 3:30am (the time I usually get up when I go for my run) and got into work at 4:30am, but didn't get my computer working again until 8am - that's over 3 hours of wasted time!!!! I felt sooooo stupid and was ticked at myself all day. Sometimes us computer people think we know what we are doing and end up making a bigger mess of things than regular users.

D'OH!